[LAU] Dithering...should we dither about it?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Mar 2 04:18:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the FLAC spec says it will handle anything from 4-32 bit-depth:
> https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__samples

flac cannot handle 32 bit *floating point*. the link you provided reads:

   "FLAC supports linear PCM samples with a resolution between 4 and 32
bits per sample. FLAC does not support floating point samples"

That said, Audacity only has FLAC export options of 16 & 24 bit depths.
> Ardour supports 8, 16 and 24. Still no 32 bit float support (at application
> level).

Ardour supports 32 bit float export to file formats that allow it. FLAC
does not.

Note that technically WAV does not allow 32 bit float. You really need
"WAVEX" for that. Sensible audio file I/O libraries can handle it, however,
even though technically it violates the WAV specification.