[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 13:49:27 UTC 2014

On 03/29/2014 06:31 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> It's handy that it comes with a bunch of samples, but why can't we
> make a sample pack and make that easy to install on Linux and add it
> (automatically) to let's say Qtractor?

I like Ardour's implementation of the Freesound API, it could use some
better search criteria but I've done some nice work with it. Not exactly
a sample pack, but it's pretty usable.

> The sound quality of the included instruments seems to be ok, but I
> doubt whether it is comparable to stuff like AMS/Ingen, zynaddsubfx,
> pianoteq.

The demo doesn't include everything available in the purchased package.
But I agree that the demo instruments are a little weak. If Bitwig gets
its MIDI act together you'll be able to use external synths as well (of
course). And there are always VST/VSTi plugins to deploy.

> Making a good song is still hard, also in a sophisticated application
> like Bitwig.

Agree++ about making a good song.

> For very advanced features you probably need Bitwig, but the tools on
> Linux aren't bad I think. I'm asking myself how big the gap is. To me
> it looks like the gap itself is not that big, but the last 10% of
> finishing and polishing an app, makes a huge difference for the end
> user.  The Linuxaudio Floss tools lacks that finishing touch,
> completeness and level of integration pretty often (which is logical
> if you look at the manpower).

Well, its automated tempo/beat-matching is something I don't see in any
other Linux audio app. I can do some nice time adjustment with Ardour's
tools but the job isn't automated. I haven't checked out Bitwig's
pitch-shifting yet.

Btw, I compared Bitwig's retail list price against the list prices for
the latest versions of Cubase, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, and Pro Tools.
Only Logic is priced lower than Bitwig, probably because the program has
Apple's weight behind it (i.e. it could be a loss-leader for some other
purpose). For example, Ableton 9 Complete lists at $749 USD.

Overall I'm fascinated by its potential, and I already plan to use it
for some work I have in mind.

Best,

dp