[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 15:42:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I like to open a discussion about Bitwig and what 'we' (users, but mostly
> developers) can learn from it.

1) They actually sat down and worked with keyboard vendors. I have a
Novation Impulse 61, and while Bitwig only lists the 25 keys model
among supported ones, I do get extra handy things like the current
track name (taken from instrument/preset name) displayed on the LCD.
Haven't checked if Novation already added Bitwig to Automap yet,
though.

2) MIDI learn is visualized better than anything I've seen on Linux,
and it's more discoverable (right-click menu).

3) After >10 years I'm still uncertain if I can permanently rename I/O
for a device in JACK, but I'm sure as hell there is no simple UI for
that. Bitwig fixes that at the "first run configuration" step: I can
create virtual inputs/outputs from physical ones and give them
sensible names.

Alexandre