[LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 93, Issue 1

Leonardo Gabrielli l.gabrielli at univpm.it
Sat Nov 1 12:28:01 UTC 2014

On 01/11/2014 13:00, linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
>> >hopefully, the article mentions this more a kind of "proof of concept"
>> >than a real product.
>> >If we start to build real knobs on top of tactile interfaces instead of
>> >building hardware interfaces, then we completely loose our minds
>> >
> 10 years ago you could get knobs that would "stick" onto a laptop/monitor
> screen and sent control data. Nothing new under the sun. That was actually
> a real product. I'm 99.9% certain that the company who did it is out of
> business.

Paul, I'm curious, do you remember the name of the product or company?
We all must admit that in the consumer electronic market it is not about
how novel a product is, but how it is presented, advertised and whether
it comes at the right time or not. Think about the Microsoft guy who
held a tablet in its hands during a keynote well before the Apple guy.
And probably someone before him did the same with an even uglier device. :)
BTW it is not only about market. It happens the same with open SW/HW or
the academic community.