[LAU] encryption and performance penalty

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Nov 13 23:51:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, David Christensen wrote:

> p.s. The old-fashioned trick of increasing RAM to improve performance is just
> as valid today as it ever was.  How much RAM do you have in your machine,
> what is it's capacity, and how much RAM and swap are in use when you are
> doing your heaviest music work?

This would be my thought too. In general, any project I have done so far
uses less than 2.5 G memory. Most modern machines can handle 16GB (I
actually have 8)... most of my sessions probably don't need to access the
drive while recording/tracking/mixing.

In my opinion, swap should show zero use during audio work. Even with
swappiness set to 10 (some set it to 1 or 0) I have not had swap space
being used. It is good to have swap enabled though, because if you do get
there, at least you can save what you have done. I have found that in an
OOM event it seems to be some part of the DE that gets kicked out as
having not been used for a while which kills everything. Going into swap
will hurt the current take (big time), but the system will at least still
be running so whatever can be saved. Lots of snapshots is good too.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net