[LAU] Dual booting Osx / Ubuntu studio on old MacBook 1, 1(2006)...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:37:27 UTC 2014

~ Russell

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 2:37 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>>
>> I'm about to retry efforts with this shortly. This time from the Ubuntu installer (13.10... I like how this version functions overall vs 12.04 or 14.04 & 15.04 last tried) & and shall report back in two shakes! :)
>
> There was one version of ubuntustudio/kubuntu where efi installs did not work... I think it was before 13.10, but I could be wrong. The name got changed in grub to Ubuntustudio rather than just Ubuntu and as it happens this same variable got used for naming the efi partition/directory. The grub name has gone back to Ubuntu in the last few releases (14.04 and 14.10 for sure)
>
> There was a file in /etc/default/grub.d that has since been removed. it would have the text ubuntustudio as part of the name... After a reboot and sw update the next reboot should be ok... I think. Or remove the file and redo ...

So, bit longer than a 'jiffy' in getting back here..

I suspect it may have been the installer used in 13.10. I finally, out of sheer frustration, tried Kxstudio from a USB stick. 12.0.3 386. Installed first time and rEFIt picked it up 1st boot thereafter with the boot loader installed to sda3.

Shame... While Kxstudio is, and has been my go-to distro for a long time, I liked how the kernel and several other automagic setup tools worked.

Thnx much for your input gentlemen.

Cheers!