[LAU] jack and the merging of soundcards

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Nov 21 14:11:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 04:33:57PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> a more device independent way of doing this, but one that implies sample
> rate conversion going on, is to use zita-a2j to allow JACK to use more than
> one device. With current JACK1, this is even builtin to JACK itself and can
> be done from the command line.

Another way is to use the soundcard of a a second computer and link
the two using zita-njbridge. If the connection is via a LAN and
Jack on the second PC is only lightly loaded you can actually
achieve the same latency as with zita-ajbridge. This is so because
njbridge assumes the worst case: the transmitter running near the
end of its Jack cycle. If that is not the case you can set the
extra buffering in zita-n2j to zero and still have some headroom
for network delay.

At my new workplace (*) I've ported njbrigde to OSX and Windows.
So we can now exchange full quality multichannel audio with low
latency between Linux, OSX and Windows machines in any combination.

(*) Since some people have asked: I'm now in Munich and working
on 3D audio at the European Research Center of Huawei.

Schuss,

--
FA