[LAU] Xruns :(

Frank Neumann beachnase at web.de
Sat Nov 22 12:37:20 UTC 2014

Hi Will,

[..]

> Eventually I found the cause. Going from linux kernel 3.2 to 3.16 :(
> This, apparently, does very aggressive CPU frequency scaling. Drop back to 3.2
> and all is sweetness and light again.
>
> The question is whether there is a reasonably straightforward way to stop this
> behaviour. Doing the usual searches doesn't seem to turn up anything useful.
>
> Any help gratefully appreciated.
>
> I would add that I've double checked that the bios is set for 'performance'.

Just a shot in the dark here, but did you try using the "cpufreq-set" tool (in
Debian-based distributions: in package "cpufrequtils) to set the CPU governor?

(As root), do:
# cpufreq-set -g performance

On an older machine, I had Xrun issues sometimes, and this tool helped overcome
it at that time. However, I have never seen the CPU load spikes you mention.

Greetings,
Frank