[LAU] Xruns :(

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 12:33:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Will Godfrey
<willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:
> Eventually I found the cause. Going from linux kernel 3.2 to 3.16 :(
> This, apparently, does very aggressive CPU frequency scaling. Drop back to 3.2
> and all is sweetness and light again.
>
> The question is whether there is a reasonably straightforward way to stop this
> behaviour.

You can temporarily disable CPU frequency scaling by running the following:
cpupower frequency-set -g performance

To return to normal "when-needed" CPU frequency scaling (better for
battery / heat)
cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand

This might work too, it "hard-sets" to the lowest CPU speed: generally
switching CPU  freq causes the xruns, not the actual slow-setting
itself. Useful for battery performance.
cpupower frequency-set -g powersave

Note that frequency scaling is currently broken on newest -rt kernels
on *old* CPU's. ArchAudio repositories have a hard-coded "performance"
-rt kernel, which sets the default speed to max: thanks JackWinter for
packaging that!

Cheers, -Harry

--

http://www.openavproductions.com