[LAU] Ideas - live gig streaming

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Nov 23 23:03:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, November 24, 2014 8:46 am, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Hey list!
>
> So a local haunt I work at frequently doing any number of things,
> including sound, playing or sitting in for someone, maintenance, repairs,
> installs, etc. great little place in Placerville, CA.
>
> I'm looking for input for these items directly (please go offline or start
> another thread if you want to talk about unrelated stuff);
>
> Audio / video live streaming
> - post mix audio to web interface with synced video.

Take a look at ffserver and icecast2. They provide support for different
aspects of the streaming paradigm.

> -coverage of all in minimum of apps but some control over general mix
> (pgm) (master comp/EQ only if needed) and video basic adjust (contrast,
> luminance, phase, etc.

Also check out Rivendell as it is specifically designed for live broadcast.

> - network side bandwidth / bs quality ...min bandwidth / network
> management issues - MTU, adjust for max glitch less thruput.
>
> Hoping to reach maybe 200 ppl via interwebs... Interactive chat - video
> return with possible audio availability.

Someone around here has already setup realtime audio chat for their radio
station.

http://www.darkcityradio.com/popup2.php?module=shows&id=25

> As an aside, I'm starting a sound school at the premises in the new year.
> Guess what I'm gonna promote in the recording / PC sound management
> segment?! The ears prick up immediately in the circles I run in when I
> speak of totally NON reliance on proprietary ( spell - expensive ) OS and
> awesome audio apps!!
>
> All ideas toward

For live video streaming you will want a decent server. Probably quad
core/8GB RAM and 1Gb NIC is the minimum unless you integrate with a
service like ustream/livestream so they take care of the load for you. You
can get some decent prices on US based servers with those specs these
days. USD$20 - $50/month.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd