[LAU] soundfont question

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Nov 25 10:42:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Edgar Aichinger <edogawa at aon.at> wrote:
[...]
> I've tried to do that sort of thing a couple of years ago, with an Audigy, and
> its analog outputs plugged to the Delta101LT. In my experience it was not
> worth the effort, the Audigy wavetable memory was too small to hold
> FluidR3, and the GM fonts that fit in sounded poor IMHO... all in all you're
> much more flexible with a software soundfont/gig/sfz/whatever player.

Uhm... IIRC, Live! and later stream samples from host RAM using DMA.
(That's how they support multi-open on the audio API side as well.) I
think AWE64 was the last card I used that had on-board waveform memory
- and I'm not even sure about that. I definitely remember adding a
pair of SIMM modules to my AWE32 card, though. :-)

But either way, I don't quite see the point in using a hardware
sampleplayer these days either.

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |