[LAU] soundfont question

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Tue Nov 25 10:55:12 UTC 2014

Am Dienstag, 25. November 2014, 11:42:16 schrieb David Olofson:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Edgar Aichinger <edogawa at aon.at> wrote:
> [...]
> > I've tried to do that sort of thing a couple of years ago, with an Audigy, and
> > its analog outputs plugged to the Delta101LT. In my experience it was not
> > worth the effort, the Audigy wavetable memory was too small to hold
> > FluidR3, and the GM fonts that fit in sounded poor IMHO... all in all you're
> > much more flexible with a software soundfont/gig/sfz/whatever player.
>
> Uhm... IIRC, Live! and later stream samples from host RAM using DMA.
> (That's how they support multi-open on the audio API side as well.) I
> think AWE64 was the last card I used that had on-board waveform memory
> - and I'm not even sure about that. I definitely remember adding a
> pair of SIMM modules to my AWE32 card, though. :-)

It's so long ago I don't remember details, but I'm quite sure I I had to use a program called sfxload or similar, to upload the sound bank to the card, whatever that meant.
I never managed to fill it with FluidR3 (apart from it taking a horribly long time before failing, or leaving me with a half-filled sample bank, not sure anymore).