[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Lossy audio to lossless format

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Oct 5 15:39:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Chris Bannister <cbannister at slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

> Spot on Ralf! You've said it way better than I ever could.
> Once you've actually *heard* good sound, an MP3 coming from a computer
> just doesn't cut it.

have you ever actually done a double bind test of 256kbps or 320kbps mp3 vs
PCM data?

i challenge you to take one. almost nobody that has ever taken such a test
can tell the difference (which actually means that when predicting which is
which, they do not get the answer right more than 50% of the time,
indicating that they actually have no basis for the supposed claim of being
able to discriminate).

the hydrogen audio forums are a good place to read up on such tests, as is
a google search, though most of the really solid double blind test papers
are behind paywalls.