[LAU] Resource gains - lightweight Desktop vs KDE, Gnome

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Oct 14 06:52:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, October 14, 2014 8:50 am, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To refine the question a bit;
>
> Older laptops in this case... 1.6ghz - 2.2ghz dual core 64bit processors
> and their rough equivalents, running say, current KDE4 Ubuntu like
> environment, vs flux/blackbox <add ur choice here>, etc.  anyone got any
> real results?
>
> Like, I want to record at 128/2 ... Can I run a softsynth or Jammin on top
> of a few live plugins running simultaneously kind of difference or ... The
> point I'm subtly pointing toward... Does the lightweight WM or DT really
> give me anymore power to do something useful??
>
> The only user difference in experience, for the most part that I see, is
> losing the automated bells n kazoo's tht heavy desktops handle. Of course
> there's more but I'm just curious about case examples with something to
> back them up & not be centered wholly on opinion.

I did some tests with a few desktops a few years back which I posted on
this list. I found that there was no hit to audio latency between the
different environments with my test rig. Assuming you have the physical
resources then  my conclusion was that it comes down to personal choice.

I run gnome3 and find the workflow is fine. I have tried other
environments but I end up pulling them out and installing gnome3 for
consistency.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd