[LAU] zita-njbridge > zita-nabridge ?

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 15:33:36 UTC 2014

> >> I have a situation in mind : in a LAN a central computer running jack
> server with a lot of audio I/O, and lightweight clients with stereo I/O.
> >> I'd like those clients to be able to send a receive 2 channels of audio
> to the central jack server, lowest latency possible.
> >>
> >> With the zita-njbridge and jack server running on the lightweight
> clients, it works, but considering i don't need the jack server on the
> lightweight clients (no effect plugins, no routing, no synths...) could a
> zita-nabridge exist to capture/override the streams from the client's
> embedded alsa device ?
> >
> > In theory such a thing could exist, it would be an ALSA device
> > that receives and/or sends audio using the njbridge protocol.
> > No resampling would be needed as it would be the 'master'
> > device on the local system.
> >
> > In practice that is not very likely to happen, the reason
> > being that interfacing to Jack is so much more easy than
> > writing an ALSA driver. Also, passing via Jack does not
> > add any latency, and in most cases users will want the
> > flexibility it provides.
>
> thanks for the answer, I was expecting this, but hadn't measures the
> difference between the jack client and alsa driver.
> So now it looks like I need to learn how to cross compile jack for various
> ARM devices to have it on the lightweight clients :/
>
> Raphaël

I've thought about a similar idea sometime in the past: A distributed audio
network with thin clients/raspberrys for a home studio or distributed via
some network. I'd be interested in following whatever progress you make.

About that of "distributed band" I red a little about programs to jam via
internet: Netjack, Ninjam, Midikit.

--

C. sanchiavedraZ:
* NEW / NUEVO:     www.sanchiavedraZ.com