[LAU] Behringer and Linux

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Tue Apr 7 07:39:44 UTC 2015

First, apologies from me, Fons. Reading my mails again I was way too
harsh. That wasn't adequate and I'm sorry for that.

> On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 08:26:29PM +0200, Felix Homann wrote:
>
>> > I'll decide for myself what I talk about. For someone who
>> > gets paid to appear in commercials and therefore disqualifies
>> > himself as an objective reviewer that may seem strange, but
>> > that's how it is.
>>
>> (For personal curiosity reasons: I didn't know you're doing
>> commercials. What kind of commercials are you in?)
>
> None. I should have written '*To* someone who appears....'.

Glad I asked and thanks you answered. But I'm quite puzzled that this
turned out as one of the most annoying personal attacks I've ever been
confronted with on the net.

> If your website is anything to go by, *you* appear in commercials
> for science toys. Not as some anonymous actor, but as someone who
> runs a science show and is probably known for that. There is of
> course nothing wrong with that, and it certainly doesn't imply
> you're dishonest. But it disqualifies you as an objective
> reviewer of such products - if I were a potential consumer of
> these things I would no longer trust your opinion, even if you
> are an expert on these things.

So what has all this to do with the topics discussed in this mailing
list? It's just trying to discredit me. Do we discuss "such products"
here? No. Have I ever tried to portrait myself as an "objective
reviewer of such products"? No.
BTW, I would not have qualified as an objective reviewer of such
things even without those commercials because in fact a) *I*
created/developed/authored a lot of those products b) the publisher
whom I did the commercials for is the publisher of *my* book, *my*
science kits and a project *partner* for many years. This is no secret
at all and I don't know how this might hurt my reputation. Even less
when it comes to discussing audio gear.

I'm not amused. Not at all!

> Now if you care so little about your reputation, then I don't
> think you are in a position to comment on anybody else's
> integrity.

I don't see how I don't care about my reputation. Moreover, I don't
think I have commented on anybody's integrity and I have not intended
to do so. Before *you* personally attacked *my* reputation and
integrity I would never have had any doubt about *your* integrity. On
the contrary.

Kind regards,

Felix