[LAU] Building Ardour 4 - Gnu/Debian Wheezy.

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 26 21:15:37 UTC 2015

On 04/26/2015 08:41 AM, Hermann Meyer wrote:

> Am 26.04.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
>> Well, if you want to use old software installed via the package
>> system, use Debian, not a distro with a rolling release system :)
>> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/ardour/ Or build an
>> ardour-2 AUR package.
>
>> Chris
>
> Blup. blup, blup, . . .
> it seems you believe that you cant compile software on debian.
> It seems you didn't know debian/sid, which is at least the debain base,
> a rolling (never) release system.

Lotsa people don't know lotsa things, don't they? :)

I use Debian Sid. If that's not rolling enough for anyone, add the
Debian Experimental repository to the collection. I did that for a few
years. (It's a great adventure, by the way!)

Rolling releases have their problems, too. Debian Sid switched to
systemd. Aptosid, a rolling release based on Debian Sid, still hasn't
decided if their kernel is going to support systemd or stick with init.
The result has been mixed; where straight Debian Sid shuts down my
Intel-based server with no problems, Aptosid either doesn't (on my Intel
laptop) or takes 5 minutes to shutdown (on my AMD-based server).

FWIW, Debian Jessie (aka Debian 8) came out yesterday.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community