[LAU] Alsa setup question

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Apr 28 21:45:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> (I have decreased the sleep time in the 'pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh' script
> to 1 second, and it still works).
>
> The only problem is that often Pulse clients, which are already running
> when Jack starts and the Pulse redirection happens (e.g. video players
> in the browser or similar), still output to the Pulse sink of the audio
> interface (and are therefor silent). I then have to use pavucontrol or a
> similar tool to switch their output to the Pule jack sink.

Just to be clear:
if exists USB use USB
else use internal

Is that about it?

Some questions:
Will the USB AI be plugged in while the system is running? Or before boot?
Will you be starting and stopping Jack, or like it to be running from
login till logout?

Personally, I run jackdbus from login till logout and have the AIs (audio
cards) in pulse configuration turn off. This way jacksink is the only
available sink and pulse will use it. I use pactl to unload the PA-jack
bridge if I want to get pulse out of the way. This sends desktop/audio to
the dummy sink so the app doesn't hang. In a script that starts jack using
jack_control to start jack, it should be easy to test for the USB AI by
name. Jack_control is compatible with both qjackctl and pulse's
module-jackdbus-detect.

I have even set jack up as the audio backend on machines (my wife's in
fact) that are normally used for desktop use. I have found this to be a
stable setup.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net