[LAU] Alsa setup question

hollundertee at gmx.net hollundertee at gmx.net
Wed Apr 29 11:12:03 UTC 2015

Thanks for the many answers in the meantime. I reply to this one since
it is closest to what I want.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> Just to be clear:
> if exists USB use USB
> else use internal
>
> Is that about it?

Yes, this is exactly what I want.
I have configured the internal interface so that it only outputs to the
headphone jacks, because I don't want my laptop to make any unexpected
sounds in the library, office, etc. (one reason why I don't use pulse:
it messes with the alsa mixer).

In the very rare occasion that I do need to use pulse, I also start it
manually. I have taken all kinds of measures to prevent pulse from
starting itself. This question is solely about alsa.

> Some questions:
> Will the USB AI be plugged in while the system is running? Or before
> boot?

Both. It occasionally happens that I'm out, suspend the machine, take it
home, plug it in. It would be nice if it would use the USB interface
after resume.

> Will you be starting and stopping Jack, or like it to be
> running from login till logout?

Jack is no problem, I start it manually from CLI or ardour when I need
it.

Thanks,
Philipp