[LAU] Alsa setup question

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Apr 29 13:01:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:

> On 29/04/15 04:45, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I use pactl to unload the PA-jack bridge if I want to get pulse out of the
>> way. This sends desktop/audio to the dummy sink so the app doesn't hang
>
> Not pavucontrol? Which I found I had to change a setting in whenever I start
> Jack to get PA to connect to the Jack Sinc at all on this install of US14.04
> (but swear I didn't previously, actually seemed to work just now as...) I
> don't believe you mean pavucontrol but I can see no package called pactl on
> Ubuntu Studio...

pactl is a cl tool that is a part of the pulseaudio package.

examples:
pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
This will keep PA from detecting new audio IFs such as USB devices

pactl unload-module module-alsa-card
this one will keep PA from seeing any alsa device

Now PA has no choice but to see jacksink/source as default.

Now I am tracking and I want to only monitor ardour
pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect
will (so long as I am using jackdbus and not jackd) remove all desktop
noise without stalling any of the desktop apps because PA will create a
dummy output.

now I am finished recording and someone wants to show me a youtube vid
pactl load-module module-jackdbus-detect
and my desktop sound now works again.

http://www.ovenwerks.net/software/index.html shows the tool I use for
(un)loading jacksink/source and some other things. I am not ready to
release it yet as I wrote it for upstart which while still around....
14.04 uses it... is on it's way out the door. I need to systemdize the
commands to shut off unwanted services for low latency work.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net