[LAU] Jack max ports question

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 2 17:13:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 11:23:20 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>Basically, they expect now that a computer is an appliance like their
>refridgerator.  The deepest mystery it's allowed to have is whether the
>light really goes off when you close the door.

Instead of qjackctl an additional app might satisfy the clueless user
who isn't interested to learn. On my iPad I run audiobus. The
"patchbay" is irrational, the settings only provide explained frames
settings.

You can have several instance as the following. If you touch a square
you can select an app or IO device, you can't assign individual IOs, you
only can chose the app or the IO device.

INPUT   #########
        #       #
        #   +   #
        #       #
        #########

           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/

EFFECTS #########
        #       #
        #   +   #
        #       #
        #########

           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/
           \/

OUTPUT  #########
        #       #
        #   +   #
        #       #
        #########

The available settings are "Latency Control" only.

"128 frames
Very fast response, very high device load: May cause stuttering

256 frames
Fast response, moderate device load: Recommended

512 frames
Moderate response, lower device load: Use if you experience stuttering

1024 frames
Very delayed response, low device load"

It's audio only, Core MIDI is handled by the apps and requires to
understand what a port is, what a channel is and the way the app does
use internal MIDI devices of the app and external MIDI devices IOW
MIDI devices of other apps and really external iPad MIDI devices.

This approach makes usage of audio applications that apart from that
are usable, unpleasant to use and exclude a sane patchbay usage, as it
is provided by real patchbays with cables.

If some people prefer such a work-flow, then some coders perhaps want
to provide such apps. It's not useful to rewrite existing apps to
alienate existing users, to win a new target group.