[LAU] jack-rack poll

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 23 13:00:59 UTC 2015

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:02:19 +0200, Alexandre DENIS wrote [1]:
>I used to use jack-rack, but I switched to Carla which has much more
>features.

What do you do, if you start an old production, were you used jack-rack?
Wouldn't it annoy you, when jack-rack won't be available in the future?
There seem to be several packages were software "a" is replaced by "b"
and "x" by "y". IMO we should be safely rely on backwards compatibility.

I dislike the patchbay, but nobody is forced to use it and the theme
fortunately can be completely disabled regarding
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla
so I'll install it and take a look at it.

However, it's more than just an effect host and comes with many
dependencies. Regarding the dependency to linuxsampler it perhaps can't
be available by official repos for Debian and Ubuntu, resp. assumed
dependencies could be disabled when configuring, then nobody could rely
on getting the same Carla on different distros.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jack-rack/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/carla-git/

However, thank you for the hint to carla.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: I'll Bcc this reply to Ubuntu Studio devel.

--
[1]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2015-August/102334.html