[LAU] Compiling dssi-vst-master: -lz missing

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Thu Aug 27 15:04:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:48:53 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 07:42:30 -0400, David Santamauro wrote:

>>... you'll need the zlib development packages, probably zlib-dev or
>>zlib-devel or something depending on your distribution.

> Perhaps the OP should mention what source and what distro was used and
> post the original Error message.

> The OP just mentioned that an "Ubuntu page" was found, but the mailer
> claims to be x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.

> It seems to be that zlib headers are not needed or they are needed,
> but already a dependency of a dependency that is mentioned.

> Upstream:

I have read the README file, of course.  The "Ubuntu page" is a general
page on how to install Reaktor.  It is:

http://whiteelephantaudio.com/installing-reaktor-linuxubuntu/

The system is 64-bit Linux Mint 17.

> Ubuntu:
> 32-bit, seemingly not intended for 64-bit

Yes, it looks like it is dependant on a specific arch version.  In this
case I installed the 32 dev package and it went OK ... Until it does
not find -ljack.

Now I'm a little bit weary about making the system non functional by
installing a package that could joyfully remove others.  It happened
before with the original dssi-vst who removed jamin in its
installation.  That was not nice.  A bit later a colleague at work
figured it out and submitted a patch.  It had to do with lack of
multilib support.  Nevertheless, during installation it removed jamin
just like that.  Now, if I start to add 32-bit devel packages, will it
ever at one poitn decide to remove other packages ?  Or are the 32-bit
packages, to the contrary of a lack of multilib support,  able to
fully co-exist within the 64-bit system that is, not in theory but
according to the Debian/Ubuntu packaging people ?

I would like to slowly move towards compiling 'everything' from
upstream. In the meanwhile I have installed the dssi-vst package and
can run Reaktor.

Cheers.