[LAU] Yoshimi - Random Detune

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Dec 3 17:33:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:39:47 -0700
Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:48 AM, F. Silvain <silvain at freeshell.de> wrote:
>

> > I'm wondering what use (if any) others have made of it, or even if anyone
> >> has
> >> recognised what it does!
> >>
> > I haven't used it in Yoshimi, but a few of my hardware synths have the
> > same feature, which I've used a couple of times. In very small amounts it's
> > very useful for emulating acoustic instruments, add some life to the sound
> > and some almost chorussing between sustaining notes.
>

> ​If you have something like 2 pianos you can detune each one a few cents
> and get something sounds like 2 pianos (no matter how good the tuner is,
> he/she will never get them to be exactly the same).​

Hi Bob :)

We can already do that (always have been able to), but that is a fixed detune.
Play the same note repeatedly on the badly tuned 'piano' and it will be just as
badly tuned every time.

This idea doesn't really work with piano type instruments, as every time you
hit the same note it will be slightly different. It should work well with a
solo violin.

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.