[LAU] CPU and mobo

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Dec 18 15:48:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, December 18, 2015 8:58 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 12/18/2015 03:39 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> no company will perform twice the work to support UEFI and also
>> legacy BIOS for the same motherboard.
>
> Except Lenovo, does. Thinkpad X-series can do both and the order is
> configurable in the BIOS (at least on this X250 - I assume other models
> can do this, too).

It really has a separate legacy BIOS, or it has the legacy compatibility
modules included in the UEFI firmware?  I have worked with an Intel
motherboard which used the Intel sourced UEFI, and it could act as a
legacy BIOS, but was really booting UEFI to configure the processors, then
effectively loading a program that behaved as legacy BIOS, so to a
bootloader it appeared as a legacy BIOS but was in reality a hybrid
system.

--
Chris Caudle