[LAU] CPU and mobo

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Dec 18 16:36:24 UTC 2015

On 12/18/2015 04:48 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Fri, December 18, 2015 8:58 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 12/18/2015 03:39 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
>>> no company will perform twice the work to support UEFI and also
>>> legacy BIOS for the same motherboard.
>>
>> Except Lenovo, does. Thinkpad X-series can do both and the order is
>> configurable in the BIOS (at least on this X250 - I assume other models
>> can do this, too).
>
> It really has a separate legacy BIOS, or it has the legacy compatibility
> modules included in the UEFI firmware?  I have worked with an Intel
> motherboard which used the Intel sourced UEFI, and it could act as a
> legacy BIOS, but was really booting UEFI to configure the processors, then
> effectively loading a program that behaved as legacy BIOS, so to a
> bootloader it appeared as a legacy BIOS but was in reality a hybrid
> system.

It's not a separate BIOS and probably a hybrid solution, but I don't
know what it does under the hood. I've removed the EFI partition
completely and it still boots in legacy mode, so it's not a software
solution.

"Secure Boot" can also be disabled in the BIOS on this box. There are
probably still some backdoors in the firmware somewhere, but it does
boot Linux directly from HDD/SSD, USB, network and external optical..

A bit OT here, but while were on the subject: Is there a benefit for
preferring UEFI over Legacy boot?

best,
robin