[LAU] CPU and mobo

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 19 22:17:05 UTC 2015

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015, Ede Wolf wrote:

> Am 19.12.2015 um 17:47 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 08:36:02 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>>> Even graphics on the chip reduces performance in other areas.
>>
>> But this seems to be standard for all new Intel and AMD.
>
> Nope. Still plenty of choice for CPU and Mobos without onboard or onchip
> graphics.
>
> For Intel CPUs, you may select (and deselect) some of your desired features
> on this well known site:
>

> http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t

Discount the Xeon D, Pentium, i5 and Atom CPUs as they are BGA and meant
to come soldered to the board. (I think the Xeon D is meant to replace the Atom
userver CPUs) Also note that the ones that say "up to 3.* Ghz" are showing
the top Boost speed, not the running speed. (the i7)

Yes there are some CPUs with no GPU, but they are either BGA for
embedded apps, or high end. Unusable on most MB or too expensive. The
other thing is that deselecting hyperthreading, leaves only the slowest
things around. For example, the xeon E3 at 3ghz which is about the same as
my i5 at 3.2ghz with Graphics... meant for low power uses. The xeon E5 with 6
cores only runs at 1.9Ghz... also a low power version. When I was looking
into this stuff, I found that the MB that can handle even the low end xeon
(where the CPU price was close to the i5) was almost double the price.

So yes, there are no-GPU CPUs around, but they are not very useful.

Thanks for the link though, I might keep that around.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net