[LAU] Audio over WIFI

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 18 03:02:58 UTC 2015

On Saturday 17 January 2015 21:28:42 Bob van der Poel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> There are some choices today, that are at times even better because
> >> the pickup coils are velocity sensitive, which isn't entirely
> >> suitable for a bass axe.
> >>
> >> I have in recent years seen several different kinds of microphones
> >
> > Yes, but for good old rocking sound of a solid body six string guitar
> > there's still noting better than a passiv single coil or passiv
> > humbucker. Especially when using passive single coils, you want good
> > pre-amplification.
>
> Can I mention the  piezo pickups I installed in my accordion. Gawd
> they sounded awful :) (Accordion wasn't bad back then when I actually
> knew how to play one).

You can Bob, but nomex underwear might be a good idea. :) The only piezo
pickups I ever encountered were rigged so as to be so highly driven that
overloading of the preamps was at about 30 db down from normal picking.

Most pickers would plug them into their sears guitar amp, and of course
the preamp flattopped long before it even got to anything that looks like
a gain control.  On an accordion I could see 30v p-p out of one, which of
course also led to short life as the rochelle salt crystal wasn't designed
to be driven that hard.  You got the result, sad to say.

Well designed electret condensers could survive that nicely.  Biggest
problem with the electret was the 2nd harmonic distortion when driven to
higher levels.  Even the legendary Altec M-21 suffered when it was driven
to more than 50 volts p-p. It could do 150 p-p! The distortion comes from
the square law of condenser element spacings, but it was still good enough
to handle the cannons when hung 6" below the muzzle when Mercury recorded
the 1812 Overture back in the later '50's. That mic, FWIW, I have had the
pleasure of working with.  You, unless you are an idiot, cannot do a bad
recording with it. But in the late 1950's, you needed a loan shark handy
to buy one, the basic unit, 20 feet of cord and its power supply were just
north of $600.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)