[LAU] pickups - was: Audio over WIFI

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jan 18 05:05:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> and still ok for this purpose, but we were talking about guitars
> and coils and not about piezos for other instruments. At what position
> should be a piezo be useful, when using it for a _solid body_ guitar?

Under the bridge saddles, where they are on my Ibanez SRF705 Bass:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=87&color=CL01

Sounds fantastic. Gives the closest to upright I could get from an
electric. I just wanted a "real" fretless to replace the bargain squire I
ripped the frets out of years ago. I think I used too soft of an epoxy to
fill the fret slots and/or the fretboard was to soft to begin with.
Anyway, I had lots of fun using the squire and (because I carry wieght on
my shoulders all week at work) it was 3 pounds lighter than the RIC I
normally used. So the squire became my gig bass... didn't like some lights
and had other issues. The Ibanez is so much more playable, no buzz/hum,
nice long neck (2.5 octaves). The piezo pu when I bought it was just a
frill I thought I wouldn't use... but I have ended up using it the most. I
mix in some neck to bring out the B string, but that is about it.

I think a piezo PU could work well on a 6 string as well with minimal
effects.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net