[LAU] Laptop soundcard

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 12:07:51 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

> Hi,
>
> My laptop (running ubuntu) has the following (audio) specs. I know it's
> probably subjective, but is this considered "good enough" for pro audio work
> or should I invest in an external sound card? (Or for that matter a better
> laptop?!) And if so, which soundcard is recommended?

If you are going to record audio, yes, definitely get a better sound card.
If you are going to play along you need a soundcard that can provide
low latency audio also.
I use old firewire cards, e.g. FA-66, which works pretty good. Also
recently tried a really old DMX6fire usb device, seems to work OK too,
apart from the horrible setup with loading firmware etc.

I think most dedicated sound cards are a step up and the more you pay
the more confident you can be that they will satisfy your needs. Of
course making sure it's supported in Linux.
-
If you are only going to create music digitally, software synths,
samples, etc. Then you might as well try what you have if it's good
enough.

Regards,
Robert