[LAU] Job - Germany - Multimedia Hardware Technician

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jul 6 10:02:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, July 6, 2015 5:41 pm, Felix Homann wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I write this not for dissecting your offer or with any bad intentions
> at all. You had complained that no one seems to be interested in your
> job offer. All I want is to help you understand the possible
> shortcomings of your offer. That's all.

>> Once again this seems to be a major disparity between Germans and the
>> rest
>> of Europe. In the rest of Europe any job with a salary and a high
>> recommendation would be considered a no brainer.
>
> Yes, sure Germany's job market is quite better than in most (all?)
> other European countries. That'S pretty obvious, isn't it?
> Therefore, "a salary" alone is not enough if you want qualified
> people. A *good* salary is what people want and qualified people
> usually get.
>
> And you should have grasped already that your job offer does not
> comply with the standards we have here for job offers. It is obscure,
> dubious an the complete opposite of a "high recommendation". That's
> the issue!
>

>> However if you had your own car and you liked driving it why would you
>> want to use a company car?
>
> Costs, their calculability and your liquidity! If you get a company
> car *everything* is covered. Every repair, the fuel, insurance etc.
> You just have to pay income taxes on 1% of the car's resell list price
> each year. So the cost of using a company car is absolutely
> predictable. Compare this to the situation in which you use your own
> car for your job even if you get a bit more money:
>
> * You have to pay each repair, new tires etc.
> * You can't even set those costs off against tax liability if your
> using your private car
> * What if the car breaks completely? Will you have to pay for a new
> one just for keeping your job?
> * You bind a lot of cash in an object that loses value
> => you take all the risk that your employer should take if you need a
> car for doing the job. The actual price of using the car is not
> predictable.
>

>> FYI, previous persons who had similar roles in other parts of Europe had
>> very nice sports cars which they drove from place to place. They were
>> not
>> company cars and they were definitely not complaining about their
>> salaries.
>
> The fiscal handling of company cars is very different in other
> European countries as far as I know.
>
>> The simple truth is that giving away too much information on this list
>> is
>> just not viable. You have already seen the "uber" negative response with
>> choice selection of information.
>
> You got this responses not beacuse of the "choice selection of
> information" you gave but mainly because of the large selection of
> information that's missing. Information you would usually expect to
> see before your applying on a job offer. Moreover, as I was trying to
> [...]

It seems like you are implying that German members of LAU don't want to go
to the effort of sending a private email to find out more information.
They want it all to be presented in entirety on a public list.

Given the amount of negativity that this one has generated from some
members of the list I don't really feel comfortable sharing more info
publicly. I'm sure y'all can appreciate that ;-)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd