[LAU] How to disable Ardour's phone home option?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:05:25 UTC 2015

On 13/07/2015 14:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 13 July 2015 07:57:13 Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>> It is a compile-time-only configuration parameter. It cannot be
>> disabled at runtime if it was compiled into the program.
>
> I wonder what "genius" thought that was a good idea?

Paul, Ardour's author :-)
And he announced it 5 years ago:

http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2010-August/023831.html

> If there is anything someone who works on linux/foss code should learn,
> its that this is NOT winderz, and we DO value our privacy.

What makes you think your privacy cannot be violated while using Linux
or using FOSS?

The value of FOSS is exactly that you can freely modify the code (in
this case actually just a compile configuration option) if you don't
like a feature..

I think we
> can hold the funeral dirge for ardour right about now, because as long
> as its packaged with that enabled, it is not going to be installed here.

As said: it's FOSS, just compile it without that option ;-)