[LAU] How to disable Ardour's phone home option?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jul 13 13:51:37 UTC 2015

On Monday 13 July 2015 09:05:25 Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> On 13/07/2015 14:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 13 July 2015 07:57:13 Paul Davis wrote:
> >> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Bent Bisballe Nyeng
> >> <deva at aasimon.org>

> >> It is a compile-time-only configuration parameter. It cannot be
> >> disabled at runtime if it was compiled into the program.
> >
> > I wonder what "genius" thought that was a good idea?
>
> Paul, Ardour's author :-)
> And he announced it 5 years ago:
>
> http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2010-August/
>023831.html
>
> > If there is anything someone who works on linux/foss code should
> > learn, its that this is NOT winderz, and we DO value our privacy.
>
> What makes you think your privacy cannot be violated while using Linux
> or using FOSS?
>
> The value of FOSS is exactly that you can freely modify the code (in
> this case actually just a compile configuration option) if you don't
> like a feature..
>
> I think we
>
> > can hold the funeral dirge for ardour right about now, because as
> > long as its packaged with that enabled, it is not going to be
> > installed here.
>
> As said: it's FOSS, just compile it without that option ;-)

But what about the non-tech audio fan who couldn't compile a hello world,
having no clue what the error messages from a missing build-essential
would spit out?  There should be an installable package with that turned
off.

As for privacy, yes I have a web page, hosted on this machine.  It
effectively runs in a user sandbox that no one has climbed out of in the
several years its been running. DD-WRT stands between me and the net.
Cell phones are a different kettle of fish. I bought one for outgoing
only use when I am out of pocket, as occasionally happens to a broadcast
engineer even 13 years after he has retired.  It gets charged and shut
off when I arrive back at the house.  I had last used it about the last
of May while driving across 2 states for services for my wifes older
sister.  It was charged and turned off when we got home, and laid on the
far end of the desk for about 3 weeks. It was turned on remotely, and
left on till the battery was so dead it took nearly half an hours
charging before it would boot again, and all my stored contact numbers
were erased.  If NSA didn't do that, who did?  Now its in that same
spot, but I check it daily since none of the displays can be seen when
its in the belt clip pouch.

My .sig alone has put me on a 3 letter agency watch list, bet on it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)