[LAU] How to disable Ardour's phone home option?

Alf Haakon Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Mon Jul 13 18:34:32 UTC 2015

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I think we can hold the funeral dirge for ardour right about now,
> because as long as its packaged with that enabled, it is not going to
> be installed here.

On my part; quite the contrary. I'll rather celebrate that Ardour is
very much alive and a program I like more the more I use it. I have no
illusions that my internet activity is anonymous anyway, and I'll gladly
share those few bits of information if it helps the developers.

Gene Heskett also wrote:

> But what about the non-tech audio fan who couldn't compile a hello
> world, having no clue what the error messages from a missing
> build-essential would spit out?

I think "non-tech" and "privacy / security awareness" are mutually
exclusive. Maybe not in principle, but by all practical means. And
anyways, if security and anonymity is something desirable, you would
have to take measures that goes far beyond switching off your DAW's
phone-home-option - measures that most likely would (or should) take
care of any phoning home.

Just my 2 <insert favourite currency here>

Al F