[LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?

Blaise Alleyne email+music at blaise.ca
Sun Jul 26 02:09:53 UTC 2015

On 25/07/15 09:31 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> I've been a reader on the list for a while, not a poster until now.

I'm an intermediate level user, so take this advice with a grain of salt...

> I am preparing  to outfit a computer  for songwriting in Linux. [...]
> My first question is this.
> some high end soundcards that are supported in Debian?  I know its been updated,
> but I intend using squeeze for a start.  Getting the floor solid before say
> adding  updated furniture.

So, from what I've learned for my set up...

1. hardware... audio interface

the key takeaway is to look for USB class compliant gear. Hardware that is class
compliant conforms to the standard specs (e.g. USB, MIDI), and is much more
likely to be supported in GNU/Linux. Whereas devices that *aren't* class
compliant require additional proprietary drivers in Windows/Mac OS X, and it's
pretty unlikely that drivers (proprietary or libre) will be available in
GNU/Linux for those devices.

There's a starter list here that helped me:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/SupportedHardware#Audio_Devices

I recently bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is fully supported in GNU/Linux
(it's USB 2.0 class compliant). (I also have a Presonus Firepod firewire
interface, which I'd bought in my Windows days, which is thankfully supported by
FFADO drivers...)

Sometimes compatibility varies by company, but sometimes it varies by product
even from the same company. I'd suggest you start looking from devices that are
listed as known to be fully supported, and look within that group for features
that you want (e.g. number/type of inputs, audio quality, etc.)...

I've found Libre Music Production to be a great resource, e.g.
http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/understanding-recording-hardware
http://libremusicproduction.com/answer/class-compliant
http://libremusicproduction.com/answer/audio-interfacesoundcard

2. Debian...

You'll have super old packages from Squeeze (whereas if you went to Jessie, you
could use the KXStudio repositories and have super current audio packages), but
I don't think that would be a dealbreaker...

(Eventually though, unless you are comfortable configuring everything that you
need to in stock Debian, you'll want an audio distribution or at least the
KXStudio repositories in Debian:
http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/advantages-choosing-audio-orientated-linux-distribution
)

What you *do* need for sure though to be able to effectively use an audio
interface is a low latency kernel.

A few years back, I was using Ubuntu Studio, which took care of that for me.
Lately, in Debian Jessie ( + KXStudio ), I settled on using liquorix:
http://liquorix.net/

Not sure if that'll work in Squeeze? Maybe?

But aside from having old versions of applications, the low latency kernel is
the thing that would matter most... otherwise, using Debian Squeeze shouldn't
AFAIK matter at all otherwise in terms of being able to connect to a class
compliant audio interface...

>  say if you <hope this makes sense> wanted to connect a full sized piano
> keyboard   to the card?

Connect the keyboard via MIDI or audio?

Does the keyboard have (class compliant) USB MIDI output?

If so, you won't even need to connect it to the audio interface, you can just
connect via USB MIDI directly to your computer (and the audio interface would
just be used to *output* sound but not for input).

If it has an old school MIDI connector, then you'd need an audio interface that
specifically has a MIDI input port.

If you're just talking getting audio from the keyboard (i.e. 1/4" jack), then a
class compliant audio interface with a 1/4" input is what you'd need... (but
MIDI would give you much more flexibility, even if you'd sometimes want to use
audio).

Anyways, otherwise may reply with more expertise, but HTH...

Blaise