[LAU] Coral - music from Studio D

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Jun 26 01:58:39 UTC 2015

On 06/25/2015 06:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com
> <mailto:dlphillips at woh.rr.com>> wrote:
>

>     Four instances of the Angelina synthesizer, a Windows VST plugin.
>     I use it Bitwig via the Airwave utility. Two instances use the
>     same preset, the other two run two other presets.
>

> For once I'm going to be the Debbie Downer. I liked the composition
> but really didn't like the "voicing". I found it to be "trying hard to
> be vocal, but missing by a country mile without any apparent awareness
> that it was doing so, and thus not playing to the strengths of the synth".
>
> Usually love your stuff though Dave, and the composition remains strong.

That's the second time today that I've encountered the qualifier "Debbie
Downer", once in realtime conversation and now here, though in different
contexts. How bizarre.

I always appreciate the honest appraisal. However, in my admittedly weak
- pitifullly weak - defense, the SC page includes the disclaimer :

     "Fake choral music."

Well, okay, it's no defense at all. I admit I liked the sounds, just
please don't cancel my subscription to Ardour, okay ?

I've placed the MIDI file online here :

     http://linux-sound.org/midfiles/Coral.mid

Let the revoicing begin.

Btw, the original tempo is 48 bpm, slowing to 35 bpm during the last
three chords.The file was exported from Bitwig, so I loaded it back into
the program to see how well it would import its own exported file. It
got the tracks right but didn't import the tempo information. I loaded
the MIDI file into my antique DOS sequencer, it got the tracks and tempo
but not the ritardando. Today's build of A4 got the tracks, not the
tempo. So whatever sequencer you're using, good luck with all that.

Best,

dp