[LAU] Cutting the USB cord :-)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 4 01:54:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>
>  Because this is a stage/live setup, I would question
>>> using 96k, but trust that you have your reasons.
>>>

>> The 96k is for the highs.  I like to have a very gentle feathery timbre
>> available in the higher reaches at lower volumes, in strings.  The shape of
>> the waveform is very crude, if you think about it, at 48k in the higher
>> reaches.
>>
>>  Some people would dissagree:
> http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

and Jonathan, if you haven't seen that video, you owe it to yourself to do
so.

and when you're done, then go watch Ethan Wiener get even deeper into
digital audio myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

It is nearly an hour long. The first 10 mins or so are different, and not
precisely about digital audio, but psycho-acoustics and still worth
exposing yourself to. The rest is critical to stripping away the BS that
surrounds digital audio technology.