[LAU] QJackCtl starts up with message window displaying this message

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Mar 18 07:54:28 UTC 2015

Hi!

When QJackCtl starts up now, it always displays the message window with
this showing in it:

21:30:58.980 Patchbay deactivated.
21:30:58.999 Statistics reset.
21:30:59.007 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI
patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Happens whether I've got it set to use RAW or SEQ midi.

I don't have QJackCtl set to start JACK on startup, I start it manually.

When I start it manually, it starts up and everything audio works fine.
But if I set it to use SEQ, there are no entries in MIDI or ALSA tab. If
I set it to use RAW, it finds my E-MU XMidiX1 and adds 1 in and 1 out
port. That puts only 1 midi_capture_1 port on the MIDI tab, though. It
apparently no longer finds it as an outport (I can tell because the OUT
port light on my interface doesn't come on.

These are the snd kernel modules lsmod shows:

snd_usb_audio         132946  2
snd_usbmidi_lib        19427  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            18422  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_seq_device          5371  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hda_codec_via      19628  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     36654  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    51198  1 snd_hda_codec_via
snd_hda_intel          21867  4
snd_hda_controller     17418  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec          89695  5
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_hwdep               6228  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                78539  5
snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_timer              18102  1 snd_pcm
snd                    58113  24
snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore               5359  2 snd,snd_hda_codec
usbcore               165281  11
uas,btusb,snd_usb_audio,uvcvideo,usb_storage,snd_usbmidi_lib,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd,xhci_pci

When I start Rosegarden and go to Manage MIDI Devices, it reports no
MIDI input or output port.

Using QJackCtl 0.3.12 (QT 4.8.6) on 64-bit Aptosid (Debian Sid) kernel
3.19.0-1.slh.4-aptosid-amd64. And apparently the old ALSA package has
been turned into a dummy and replaced with kmod?

Any ideas? Thanks.

See what happens when you upgrade things and *everything just seems to
work* except for weird little things like this? Everything before
upgrade was working with no problems. Stupid computers. ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community