[LAU] free/libre/open online music distribution

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Wed Mar 25 13:25:19 UTC 2015

Il giorno Mon, 16 Mar 2015 20:04:12 -0400
Marc Lavallée <marc at hacklava.net> ha scritto:

> Hello Wayne.
>
> I'm in the process or migrating a file sharing web site to a new
> platform. The first step is to create a static version of the site,
> in order to host it a an archive until the new site is ready. While
> doing it, It appeared to me that creating and hosting a static web site
> could be a viable solution, if accompanied by a simple administration
> module.
>
> I'm programming my own solution. Since my day job is programming web
> sites in Python (using so-called "frameworks"), it's relatively easy for
> me (although time consuming). The main components are a data source
> (sql, no-sql, json files, etc), a set of custom Python scripts, and the
> Mako template engine (used by Reddit). For HTML styling I use the
> popular Bootstrap library. To publish the resulting static site, I
> will use rsync over ssh. The main advantage of this technique is that
> only a basic HTTP server is required, lowering the complexity and the
> cost of hosting.
>
> I would recommend a similar technique, because I believe it's more
> flexible than using frameworks and services. Sometimes, the simplest
> solutions are DIY. That said, the learning curve could be long, but
> it's worth it.
>
> Maybe a better solution would be to use something like Jekyll, listed
> as the most popular on https://staticsitegenerators.net/.
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Marc

ahoy Marc,

	thanks for the recommendations.  my research/experience is also leading me to a statically generated site: the upfront complexity of developing+using a tool (i am not a programmer by day) seems well worth it for file+directory based configuration and the simple hosting.  just need to find something that fits.  and if you ever decide to share your solution i would be happy to take a look ;)

	thanks again and looking forward to your new site.

peace, w