[LAU] Rolling ur own software

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Mar 19 09:12:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:32:24 -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>Can I gain any performance from building certain software on the
>machine? Mostly, I guess low or more efficient resource usage. Kernel
>included. Right now running SMP lowtatency kernel. I'm still if the
>belief that a RT kernel would be better but obviously in the deb
>world, not so many available.

I can't speak for Mac, but for my PCs compiling on my machines
didn't/doesn't make a noticeable difference to installing a package.

Regarding the kernel, yes, linux-rt is useful, but for my AMD Athlon
there's no noticeable difference when I compile it with or without
CONFIG_MK8=y for Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8.