[LAU] Rolling ur own software

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Mar 19 09:48:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, March 19, 2015 6:54 pm, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 02:45 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any real benefits to building software on your local machine
>> vs installing binaries, in this case all largely Ubuntu based?
>>
>> There are some things you just can't get with ubuntu (probably debian is
>> not much different). Linux Sampler, ffmpeg, cdrecord, GCDMaster and non*
>> are a few that come to mind. If you follow this list at all, There is a
>> time lag from when new stuff comes out and when it appears on Ubuntu, so
>> things people announce here are not available for some time.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian should contain most missing
> parts. If it doesn't then you can always file a request.

Compiling locally optimises the performance of the binary. In some cases
the improvements are dramatic compared to the distributed binaries. It''s
also the only way to keep pace with the bleeding edge dev repos.

In my case I have a selection of projects that I try to keep pace with and
they are pulled to a special folder. ex.

/home/<user>/code/

These days I rarely have dependency issues even on the most cutting edge
dev repos but I run with debian unstable/sid.

>>> I've finally got this old mackbook 1,1 (Nov 2006 white 13") running
>> linux audio with comparable results to its native OSx 10.6. Whatevah
>> Snow LeopRd was. Set up dual boot.
>>
>> Cool.
>>
>>> I've removed lots of software I won't use on it like cups, samba, misc
>> daemons nibbling away at memory n cycles. Xfce desktop.
>>
>> I could remove most of those for even my desktop use :)
>>
>>> Can I gain any performance from building certain software on the
>> machine? Mostly, I guess low or more efficient resource usage. Kernel
>> included. Right now running SMP lowtatency kernel. I'm still if the
>> belief that a RT kernel would be better but obviously in the deb world,
>> not so many available.
>>
>> There is a RT kernel in the Ubuntu repos somewhere (fairly new and
>> private, but maitained) I don't think it is there for the last LTS and I
>> couldn't find it with casual googling.
>
> Afaik there is no maintained RT kernel PPA repository. Alessio Igor
> Bogani used to maintain a PPA and Trisquel did a stab at it, same goes
> for KXStudio. It's simply a lot of work.
>

>> Most of the kernel is modules so kernel bloat from trying to support
>> everything is not much of a problem... though the kernels do seem to be
>> much bigger than when I started and they fit on a floppy.
>>
>> my almost new i5 is so much faster than the old p4 (4 cores instead of
>> one doesn't hurt either) and has 4 times the ram. So that it is quite
>> hard for me to notice extra memory/cpu use. I can run 16/2 with my old
>> ice1712 audio IF with no xruns on the lowlatency kernel, so it is kinda
>> hard to spend much time worrying about a RT kernel.
>>
>> --
>> Len Ovens
>> www.ovenwerks.net

Patrick Shirkey