[LAU] free/libre/open online music distribution

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Wed Mar 25 13:34:55 UTC 2015

Il giorno Tue, 17 Mar 2015 20:29:25 +1100 (EST)
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> ha scritto:

> On Tue, March 17, 2015 9:51 am, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> > ahoy all,
> >
> > 	i have been doing some research into free/libre software and/or services
> > for music distribution.  my preferences are a *customizable* static
> > HTML+CSS+JavaScript site (e.g. like the current crop of static site
> > generators https://staticsitegenerators.net ) that i can host myself
> > which allows streaming and free/libre downloads of releases/tracks.
> > basically i am looking for a simple static site generator that is
> > album/track/audio aware, though i am open to any solutions available.
> >

> For streaming audio there are several open source solutions
> available.Icecast works very well for radio streeam.

	thanks, i had not thought of Icecast as a way to stream the music.  i will have to check it out and see if it can work like a streaming player instead of just a radio feed.

> On the frontend I
> have been using jplayer for a while but have recently started using pure
> html5 for some smaller files.
>
> For an example of several streaming solutions combined into a single
> website you can visit this url:
>
> http://madprof.channellinux.com/
>
> The site is written with html5 and jquery for the front end and a small
> amount of php for the backend.

	very cool, though there were a few broken links/empty pages for me:

- the "Dub Store" item links result in an empty page (e.g. http://www.ariwa.com/dubstore/collector/ari-192/ )
- the "Digital Store" item links all resulted in a "page not found" ending up at http://localhost/error.html
- "Sound Board" resulted in a few "decodeAudioData error undefined" popup alerts and the "loading Buffers" never finishing

however, the jPlayer "Prof Radio" was working.

> If you are able to roll your own you could copy the jquery and repurpose
> it for your own system.

	it looks like for most of the static tools i will have to at least do the styling/CSS and some JS, so thanks for the offer.

peace, w