[LAU] Sequencer drum voice assignment - Was: Behringer and Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 30 15:11:21 UTC 2015

Hi Len,

I didn't keep the Message-ID of the original thread.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:01:19 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>Tracktion is not good enough to switch for me. The jack
>implementation is a bit odd. The one interesting thing it did do was
>to recognise my Yamaha DD11 channel 16 is really drums and map them to
>channel 10 when I recorded them.

Sequencers should provide a matrix to assign each drum voice to an
individual different note on any wanted MIDI channel. Some sequencers
do provide such a matrix.

I own a DD-11 too and it's owner's guide mentions that it provides 3
kicks, they are assigned to C1 (36), G#1 (44) and A1 (45). IOW 2 of the
3 bass drums are assigned to note numbers, that don't match with GM, so
just mapping to MIDI channel 10 not always does the trick. My RX21
provides a kick on A1 (45) only and my TG33 provides the bass drum on
C1 (36), G#1 (44) and A1 (45). G#1 (44) and A1 (45) on GM devices are
for Hi Hat and Tom, that is the way as my Roland MT-32 and my Alesis D4
factory drum kits provide it.

GM might be useful for some needs but for studio work a matrix is
needed.

IMO a drum kit by default should match as close as possible to GM, but
it's common practise to use drum samples from different devices, so a
matrix is needed anyway.

Regards,
Ralf