[LAU] Fwd: Re: Ardour Version Question: 2 versus 3?

ORL orl at ammd.net
Mon May 4 19:56:19 UTC 2015

(I never paied attention that reply-to is not positionned by LAU...)
Here's what I've been writing.

Le 04/05/2015 20:56, Bruno Ruviaro a écrit :
> On Monday, May 4, 2015, Ivan K <ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:ivan_521521 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have some question regarding versions of Ardour
>     that people are using.
>
>     Currently, I am running Fedora 20, and their
>     software repository has two versions of Ardour available:
>
>     ardour-2.8.16-12.fc20
>     ardour-3.5.403-1.fc20
>
>     I seem to recall that in the past, despite
>     Ardour3 being available, some people were still preferring
>     to use Ardour2.  This seems to be supported by the
>     fact that Fedora offers both versions.
>
>     Why might one prefer Ardour2 over Ardour3?
>

> I think some people stayed with A2 just because it was working well
> for them and didn't want to run risks or change their workflow.

I'm one of these people.
Actually, I've been using Ardour2 for many years, but I was OK to switch
to A3, especially because I was lacking several things (for example the
fact that MIDI bindings weren't recalled after closing the session).
Still I use Ardour for audio recording only, I have other habits
concerning MIDI, and feel in ease with the modular approach allowed by
Jack, so it was not absolutely necessary for me to swtich to A3.
I tried (and am always trying, by the way), but I've experienced many
bugs, including the big ones around MIDI things (MIDI being un-editable,
then MIDI files being lost, and so on), and finally, I kept on Ardour2
for the moment, because, once again, I don't need Ardour to care about
the MIDI.
As I work in a studio and also for audio-engineers schools, I prefer to
have something which works reliably and that I trust in, than a more
bleeding-edge soft, and as far as I've tried for now (but I must say I
didn't try A3 for 4 monthes), it lead me to stay on A2.
I use Debian, and use the stable version when it's about schools, for
example.

There is something else too. I'm not so keen of A3 GUI. It's not that
far from A2, but I'd like the sobriety of A2, and, more precisely, I
really don't like the way Zoom/Scrolling is done in A3, and I really
miss the scroll bars (mightbe I can custom my preferences so that it
looks like that, I didn't try) of A2.
To end up, but that's not really an Ardour pb, much more my workflow
problem, but I feel A3 quite less usable in i3wm, as you need to recall
much more key bindings to be able to close the windows you've opened (i3
doesn't provide window decoration) as there is no "OK" nor "cancel".

Well, that's my reasons. By that time, I would be sad not to have
Ardour2 (still, I've not tried A4).

(to be honest, for my own audio-engineering works, I use non-mixer /
non-timeline, and sometimes ecasound)

Cheers.
Aurélien

--