[LAU] Ardour Version Question: 2 versus 3?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon May 4 22:04:49 UTC 2015

4

> Currently, I am running Fedora 20, and their
> software repository has two versions of Ardour available:
>
> ardour-2.8.16-12.fc20
> ardour-3.5.403-1.fc20
>
> I seem to recall that in the past, despite
> Ardour3 being available, some people were still preferring
> to use Ardour2.  This seems to be supported by the
> fact that Fedora offers both versions.
>
> Why might one prefer Ardour2 over Ardour3?

A project started in A2 might be finished in A2. But then, I think also I
would be using the whole OS version surounding it as well (GCDMaster for
example). I personally have not had any problems moving A2 projects to A3
(and then A4) but mine are generally pretty sparse and non-complex to
begin with. I make very little use of the midi editing and so that reason
for moving to A3 did not effect me. However, some of the other things like
the use of control surfaces does. And with things like GCDMaster no longer
available because the libs it uses are not around any more (well they are
around, but would interfere with the newer version lib versions) A4s
improved export is also needed. The LV2 standard seems to have changed...
A4 works better with the newer standard... so A2 might limit you to older
plugins. A4 supports linux VSTs. There is much more than just MIDI editing
to find in A3/4... even little things like the channel strip trim "pot"
that appeared a short while ago.

There are reasons to stick with A2... but not many. In general, for any
computer with 1g ram or more (it is hard to find a newer computer with
even only 2G) and for new projects, A4 is the way to go.

In my opinion...
Ardour is worth supporting. There have been whole HW platforms that are no
longer around (like the Atari ST with some of the very best MIDI
sequencing) because the SW developers were not supported. There are some
really useful Linux projects that are gone for the same reason. audio
creation in the Linux world is a very small group of people... the
everything in Linux is free attitude, has kept some kinds of SW from
really developing well here.

Quite honestly, Ardour is the first SW I have put money into since I
bought some stuff for the ST megga2. I have gotten to the point where I
either did that or bought something closed. The A3 that comes from the
repo is fine as a demo, but the support and updates from the Ardour site
are worth paying for... and the features I would like to see down the road
are worth support as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net