[LAU] ShowQ - "a QLAB for Linux"

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Wed May 13 15:03:43 UTC 2015

Hi Michael

On 2015-05-13 12:12, Michael Jarosch wrote:

> OR: Got an alternative to ShowQ? You're welcome!

I've tested both ShowQ and Linux Show Player. The great thing about
ShowQ is that it can read and play a single multitrack file and run
trough Jack. The problem here is that I so far, never managed to patch
the channels to one output each to the sound card. Maybe someone here
can explain how to do it? Usually, one will want to use one mono channel
(two if TV channel mix) for the PA and the rest of the channels for one
monitor channel for each musician. I do also like that you can't
accidentally stop a que by hitting the space button. I tested on a 4
channel flac file and wanted one output for each channel.

GUI wise, Linux Show Player is absolutely best - one big usable icon
for each que and an incredible intuitive usage - way to go for a
stressed Show Player chef! But it's audio output seem to be Alsa (and
stereo?) only - even when the Jack plugin is enabled for Gstreamer. I
want full channel control in live gigs with Jack.

So my conclusion so far is: For simple gigs where two channels enougt,
use Linux Show Player.

For bigger gigs, ShowQ is the deal (if the patching works). On my wish
list if somebody starts to develop it again: A plugin insert point!  :-)

Jostein