[LAU] The Quiet Moon

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Mon Nov 2 21:58:43 UTC 2015

Am 02.11.2015 um 22:04 schrieb jonetsu at teksavvy.com:
> I wonder if I should look into Carla.

Only you can answer that. But it's free software, so it will only cost
you your time. ;) But, honestly, just install it (be sure to use
2.0-beta4), try it out and you will, I think, recognize quickly, that it
is an amazing tool and makes many things easier when working with
plugins, from simple to complex setups.

> What are the advantages of using
> it, apart when a plugin crashes, Ardour will not crash ?  Can
> the Carla plugin automation (if any) be used in conjunction with
> Ardour ?

Carla can be used in many fashions. I use it mainly in its VST plugin
form as a bridge to load different plugin formats in Tracktion 6, since
Tracktion does not directly support LV2 plugins and Linux VST support is
not very stable. But you can also use it as a standalone host e.g. for
your favourite synth plugin, as a complex effects rack, etc.

Now Carla is unfortunately not by any means a mature project, IMHO. It
still crashes quite often, depending on which plugins you use with it,
and there are still some display issues with some plugins and LV2
support leaves some features to be desired (namely LV2 preset support).
On the other hand, it gets better every month and falkTX is very
responsive wrt bug reports.

Chris