[LAU] Qtractor vs. dssi-vst?

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Fri Nov 20 04:48:32 UTC 2015

James Harkins wrote:
> At Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:42:45 +0100,
> Robert Jonsson wrote:
>> I'm assuming you are running kxstudio? Wierd that the dependencies get
>> confused, I have no solution to that. I just wanted to mention that
>> there is likely another problem with dssi-vst at the moment. Due to
>> some low level bug dssi-vst currently does not work under a 64-bit
>> system.
>>
>> See the discussion here:
>> https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14817&sid=81abc243ed9d906840b37f5b24cd9d5a
>> As far as I know this is still the case so I think Carla or Airwave is
>> your best bet.
>
> Thanks all for the advice.
>
> I'm not running KXStudio -- vanilla Ubuntu here, with some low latency
> tweaks. My lecture is on Tuesday -- highly unlikely that I would install a
> whole new distro and reconfigure all the software I need at this point.
> Also, after losing literally 7-8 hours yesterday to buggy, poorly-featured
> or un-compilable packages, I'm not exactly eager to try to build Qtractor
> or Carla from sources.
>
> Unless somebody can provide "for dummies" instructions with a, say, 90-95%
> chance of success. I know that's unrealistic... just saying, yesterday, I
> went through three or four cycles of build... build failed... Google...
> install more packages... build failed again... Google... repeat... until
> the Google results turned up nothing useful and I still didn't have a
> working build. To protect my own sanity, at this point I would rather boot
> into Windows (and that is saying a LOT).
>
> I have a related question, which really belongs in another thread.
> Shortly.
> hjh

Hi,

You don't need to "install" KXStudio or change your distribution at all,
KX Studio has a PPA repository that is compatible with pretty much any
current Ubuntu or Debian distro. Simply add the PPA to your vanilla Ubuntu
install, update your package manager and select whichever packages you
want, no need to compile anything at all.

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories