[LAU] Isolating/dedicating Interrupts

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Nov 21 13:59:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>
wrote:

> On 11/21/2015 02:40 PM, Ede Wolf wrote:
> > Following the discussion about irq_balance, I was having a look at my
> > interrupts, I figured that my most important devices all share a single
> > one:
> >

> > cat /proc/interrupts:
> >
> >  20:  <CPU List> IR-IO-APIC   20-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb9, snd_rme9652,
> > vfio-intx(0000:07:00.0)
> >
> > So some USB, my passed-through parallel card and my soundcard are all
> > sharing interrupt #20.
> >
> > Now I wonder, is there a way to force the system to use a dedicated
> > interrupt just for the soundcard?
>
> No, unless the system supports MSI (Message Signaled Interrupts) and the
> sound card could use that. It's been a while since I had to use that so
> I have no links at hand :(

Actually, it depends on the BIOS in your motherboard.

In general, most laptops and many newer motherboards do not allow
interrupt/slot assignment to be controlled.

Most older desktop-y motherboards and a few contemporary ones do.

 If you can't find it in the BIOS setup stuff, then it probably isn't there.