[LAU] Mono tracks to mono or stereo bus ? And sampling rate

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Nov 23 15:50:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:31:12 -0500
"jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> When having multiple mono guitar tracks in Ardour and wanting to
> regroup them in a single bus, would that bus be preferably mono or
> stereo ?  How is this in relation to eventually placing the guitar bus
> in a stereo field ?

Ardour's default is to provide 2-channel output, so I've always made my
busses stereo.

> Also, is it possible in Ardour to raise the sampling rate of single
> tracks ?

You won't be able to change the sample rate on the fly.  The sample
rate is set by JACK, and if your session is at 44.1k and you want to
change to using 48k, you'd have to start JACK with the newer rate.  There
will be an issue loading the old session, though, and I don't know what
Ardour does in that situation, but I don't believe it will automagically
change the session.

You may need to start a new session and import the tracks from the old session's
interchange/<session_name>/audiofiles directory.

If you import the old tracks to your region list, I believe Ardour will
resample as needed.  I do everything at 48k because of my mixer/interface,
and have pulled in tracks recorded at different rates with no issues.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com